[of-dev] increasing the bus factor

Caitlin Morris caitlinannemorris at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 15:09:43 PDT 2015

There's a list of local community groups / meetups on the sidebar of the
community page:

http://openframeworks.cc/community/

I'm happy to add more there if anything is missing -- everyone feel free to
send me your community info!

In the past we've updated this sidebar with specific information about
upcoming events, but that wasn't the best place for those updates since
it's not a channel people check frequently. Maybe an "events" channel on
the openFrameworks Slack would be a better place for those sort of
community event notifications? (Especially if the IRC gateway makes that
accessible to more people?)

2. Are there any specific efforts to get contributions to oF beside
   mentioning it occasionally in workshops?

My feeling is that there's an ongoing encouragement for people to get
involved at many levels -- it's pretty common for someone to ask a question
in forums / email etc, and in response be encouraged to submit a github
issue or pull request, which feels like the most accessible way for people
to start helping out / contributing.  There's this guide to contributions
on github, but perhaps it could be made more visible elsewhere?

https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

In general, though this is completely anecdotal, I feel like I've seen
contributions to OF from an increasingly diverse and distributed group of
people over the past few years -- but I agree that continuing outreach to
encourage or enable contributions is important! Would love to discuss ideas
for this if anyone has something in mind :)

best,
Caitlin