[of-dev] ofxLogger

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 01:16:34 PDT 2011

Well I could make a pull request with a lightweight stream logger that just uses printf internally. The file, header, and log topic features come from the Poco::Logger and that's the part that probably causing problems due to it being in a singleton.

I agree that basic stream output is far faster to use then tons of ofToString and stringstreams ...

Also, I'm sure I can add this functionality without breaking the old ofLog function usage.

On Apr 10, 2011, at 3:31 AM, Kyle McDonald wrote:

> not sure how other people feel about this... but i personally think
> ofxLogger is better as an addon.
>
> it would be awesome to have a few features in the core though:
>
> ofLog() << "log message can print numbers: " << 40;
> ofDrawBitmapString(10, 20) << "and ofDrawBitmapString can draw to the screen";
>
> the stream operators with the endl handling are awesome. if that was
> in the core i would totally switch from cout, which is what i normally
> use while developing projects for debugging.
>
> the file output option is super nice, too.
>
> but i think the log rotation, header control, console coloring, and
> hierarchical topic levels are a bit overkill for the core.
>
> kyle
>
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Howdy all,
>> After finally getting my local copy of OF 007 updated, I noticed the logger
>> was removed stating that people were having problems with it. This is the
>> first I've heard of problems and I wished I had been contacted in some way
>> to try and resolve them. I do, however, understand removing it in the face
>> of dealing with the host of commits, pull requests, and resulting debugging
>> from our week long coding orgy.
>> In any case, I've spun out the code into an
>> addon: https://github.com/danomatika/ofxLogger It should be easier for
>> people to test this way and later on it could be readded to the core if it
>> makes sense.
>> --------
>> Dan Wilcox
>> danomatika.com