[of-dev] addons, addons locatoins

Kyle McDonald kyle at kylemcdonald.net
Fri Jul 9 17:17:12 PDT 2010

Amazing list! I was trying to remember the name of ofxFreeFrame recently...

I have an idea for /addons, I might have mentioned it here before: make
it entirely user (developer) generated. On the /addons page, there will
be a form with a single text field. In that text field, you submit a
URL. The URL points to an XML file that looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<addon>
  <title>ofxControlPanel</title>
  <addonUrl>http://github.com/ofTheo/ofxControlPanel</addonUrl>
  <author>Theo Watson</author>
  <authorUrl>http://theowatson.com/</authorUrl>
  <description>A flexible control panel based GUI, with XML saving and a
variety of input types.</description>
  <lastUpdated>
   <date>17</date>
   <month>6</month>
   <year>2010</year>
  </lastUpdated>
</addon>

The server grabs this file and adds the info to an internal database.
The server updates itself automatically once a day, giving authors the
ability to change their project description or project url.

I think the Processing model is great:

http://processing.org/reference/libraries/

And the main thing it's missing is some information about things that
might not work anymore (though they did some pruning when 1.0 was
released). This is why I included the lastUpdated field above.

Maybe even steal the Processing categories (3D, animation, compilations,
cv, data/protocols...) for /addons?

Curating addons will make the page really useful, but I think the addon
scene is almost too volatile. Unless someone is regularly maintaining
/addons it could quickly lose its utility.

Again, awesome work :)

Kyle