[of-dev] problems linking with opencv 2.1

Memo Akten memo at memo.tv
Fri Jul 9 06:06:10 PDT 2010

yup my research has led to the same conclusion. prior to opencv 2.0 IPP was dynamically linked. If you had IPP installed opencv would use it, if you didn't have IPP installed opencv would fallback to it's own routines. This meant you could have just one app, which used IPP if it was available, and didn't use it if it wasn't available - which is a pretty nice way of integrating it.

Starting with opencv 2.0 (and 2.1), IPP has to be statically linked. I.e. if you want to use IPP you have to recompile opencv with IPP enabled. This means you would need an app for IPP, and another app for when IPP is not present if you needed to support such a scenario.

Searching the opencv 2.x source for HAVE_IPP will show the areas of opencv that are IPP optimized. Not an awful lot, which is shame because it seems IPP does everything opencv does, and a lot more!

P.S. my IPP opencv libs are also giving 7.5 fps now (identical to non-ipp opencv libs). When I did that test earlier and got 5fps my mac must have been doing something else in the background.

Studio 107. 7 Westgate St. London E8 3RL
mob: +44 7958 783 832
tel: +44 20 8123 9986
fax: +44 20 8986 5496

work: www.msavisuals.com